The Department of Botany, established in 1958 is one of the leading Departments in the field of teaching and research in plant sciences. Initially with B.Sc. Programme, keeping pace with advances in various aspects of Plant Sciences in 1977 former Principal Dr. V. R. Ghurde instigated the proposal to get the recognition of research centre to undertake the M. Phil. and Ph. D courses. Eventually, the PG programme started in 2005 followed by COC programme “Modern Horticulture and landscaping” by UGC in 2006. Botany lab is the oldest and the 1st research lab of the college amongst University. The department offers M.Sc. Bioinformatics as an interdisciplinary course on self-finance basis since 2009. Since its inception, the progress of the department has been inextricably linked with the efforts of former faculty members to name a few, Honourable Dr. V. R. Ghurde, Mrs. Dr. Urmi shah, Dr. P. R. Deshmukh, Dr.V.R. Deshmukh, Mrs. B. K. Konde, Prof. P.W. Deotare and Prof. Bhupendra Dorkar. Presently the department is working under the able guidance of Dr. G.B. Hedawoo. Even though the department has significantly contributed in various academic and research areas it continues to strive for excellence. Currently, Seven faculty members, out of which Two are Professor, One is associate Professor and Four are Assistant Professor while most of them have acquired Ph. D. degree and working on various research projects funded by UGC, DST and other agencies. For about four decades after its establishment, the Department is now recognized for teaching and research in the areas of Mycology, Fungal Systematics and biotechnology, Mycorrhizal biotechnology and Plant Pathology, Ecology and Taxonomy, Plant Physiology, Water biology and photochemistry. The extension activities of the department fulfils the need of society up to some extent through workshops on Mushroom cultivation, Vermicomposting and environmental awareness and protection through student’s activist group ‘Ecofriends’.